Thursday, February 1, 2007

Flagship Entry

Okay, this is my VERY FIRST BLOG ENTRY. So much of me feels silly doing this. First. The word "blog". Please. Who comes up with this pop icon babble? I usually try to avoid using these words the way I avoid glancing at the cover of "Star" magazine or watching American Idol. I make exceptions, of course (Gilmore Girls). Second. What compels a person to publish her thoughts and invite others (indeed, allow strangers) to view them? Like "Copenhagen," to what extent does the observation impact and alter the observed? Third. Mark says I'm totally behind the times in that I'm starting my blog almost 2 years later than the rest of the world.

Oh well. In any event, to my loved ones reading this, here is a little glimpse into my head and life. Most of it will not be news to you, but it is fun to write and ruminate (and play with fonts and upload pictures), and hopefully this will be a way to keep you posted on my news when phone calls and emails aren't doing the trick. I can't necessarily promise entertainment or laughs, sorry, I'm just not that good.

So much is going on in my life. I have been evaluating my professional goals and scrutinizing my path to reaching them. I am molding my children into people who have to independently make their way in this complicated, difficult world. I try to remember to wholly commit to my marriage, as I vowed I would do on that first day. I have been helping Oren draft essays to get into business school. I contemplate Melissa and take in a sharp breath when I think "what would I do without her?"
I'd like to set the tone for this blog which, as my inspirational blog hero Xtina says, is a way "to create some order from the jumble of ideas constantly dancing around in my head." I would like to create a theme of gratitude.

Along those lines, here are some blessings I would like to count and share with you:
The smell of my children's hair after an afternoon at the park--sand, sweat, wind, grass, metal.
Naomi's quiet and acquiescent "okay, mama" when she accepts important instructions.
Asher's sing-song response of "I do, I do" when asked "who wants hummous?" or "who loves mama?" or "who wants a bath?"
My body for allowing me to run, climb stairs, carry children.
My husband, family, and beloved friends for enriching my life and supporting my choices.

Tali

5 comments:

Darwinsgirl said...

My friend, what a great first entry! I got teary eyed reading it. Thank you, thank you, for allowing yourself the time to start a blog and for sharing!!!

Anonymous said...

Loooove it, Tal! So glad you did this - anything to build connections in our crazy world, right? I've briefly, in-passingly thought of starting a blog, but haven't for some of the reasons you mentioned. But, I love yours! No turning back now, girl....

Anonymous said...

Tal, this is beautiful. And...Christian-Stein...LOVE IT! :-) LIZ

Unknown said...

Most excellent. Thanks for sharing your random thoughts. They are wonderful and precious. Don't worry about boring any of us as you can write about corporate venture and mergers and it would be interesting. And you think YOU'RE behind in the blog world?
xoxoxoxox

Anonymous said...

finally had time to sit and read your blog entries and i so thoroughly enjoyed them! you're such a good writer! (though i already knew that from all the cards and notes you've written me through the years.) keep the entries coming (don't be like my lovely but lazy husband), and happy blogging!