Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Nostalgia American Style

I have a very keen sense of smell, which is sometimes a curse, but today was a blessing. I ran past a man who washed his hair with Head and Shoulders. It must have been their 1970s original formula because the smell generated this intense, wonderful memory of being carried on my father's shoulders as a child and happily burying my face in the comfort and warmth of his thick, black hair.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This posting elicited a vocal ahhh when I read it. It's particularly gratifying to be remembered with such fondness for something that you yourself never gave a second thought to.
By the way, I still use H&S, though the smell is now different, leading me to wonder how many cases of the stuff did that guy purchase pre-2002.
In any case, thank God my hair is still relatively thick; it just ain't black anymore.